Premises Liability

Am I covered for slip-and-fall?

Yes. The policy includes "Premises Liability" or "slip-and-fall" coverage as a part of the standard policy. No additional premium is charged for this coverage. Premises Liability coverage is designed to protect the insured psychologist if another person is injured in the psychologist's office. For example, if someone slips on the carpet in the office and sustains an injury, the Premises Liability portion of the policy would be triggered.

When does Premises Liability apply?

An injury that occurs in your office is clearly covered. On the other hand, a patient who is injured when he or she stops at the gas station on the way to your office would not be covered under the policy. The policy would also respond when clients are seen at offsite locations where the psychologist provides services. This is particularly helpful for psychologists doing consultation outside their office (providing workshops, Coaching, I/O, or Geriatric Psychologists who spend time in a nursing home where their clients reside).

What are the dollar limits of coverage?

Premises Liability is part of your primary coverage. You have the full limits of the policy available to pay for an injury. If you have a $1 million per incident policy, the policy limits may go up to $1 million for damages. The Trust policy also includes no-fault medical payments for bodily injury.

Does Premises Liability coverage apply if the office is in the home?

Yes. The Trust policy covers you whether the office is in the home, at a large hospital, or in a small suite of offices. If your office is located in your home, your homeowners policy may or may not apply to business pursuits. It is important to talk to your homeowner's agent to find out if you need to modify your homeowner's insurance for a home office. The Premises Liability coverage in your Professional Liability policy would not cover an injury sustained outside your psychological practice.

My landlord has asked to be named on my policy. Can that be done?

The Trust policy automatically covers landlords as additional insureds. If the landlord would like proof that they are covered, you may submit a written request to have that landlord specifically listed on your policy. We will then send you an endorsement with their name listed. There is no cost for this service.

Should the landlord be added as an additional insured to the Professional Liability policy?

You can choose to list the landlord on your policy. However, in the event of a claim, your policy limits will apply to all additional insureds, including the landlord.

What does the Premises Liability not cover?

  • Premises Liability only responds when someone who is not an insured under your policy sues you for damages due to an injury sustained in your office. This means that the injured party must first suffer an injury on your premises, and then must make a claim for the damages they suffered.
  • The policy would not cover injuries to the insured, or the insured's employees who make claims for injuries. This type of claim would be handled by worker's compensation coverage.
  • Premises Liability coverage does not provide coverage for damage to property or office contents due to fire, water damage, etc. If one is looking for protection for property or contents (office furniture, computers, client records, etc.) then one should look for a business property policy like a Business Owners policy described below.

What does a Business Office policy cover?

  • A Business Office policy covers your business personal property, such as furniture and office equipment, that you use in your practice.
  • Business interruption coverage is available if your premises sustains a covered property loss and you are forced to set up a temporary office elsewhere.
  • General Liability coverage is included with the Business Office policy and covers you for any visitors to your premises for slips-and-falls, as well as contractual liability, personal and advertising injury, host liquor, and fire legal liability.

What is General Liability coverage?

General Liability coverage is coverage for Premises Liability as well as contractual liability, personal and advertising injury, host liquor, and fire legal liability.

What is non-owned automobile coverage?

Non-owned automobile provides coverage to the named insured against automobile accidents involving employees, when the employees use their own automobiles for the insured's business purposes.

What is the difference between a Business Office policy and the General Liability policy?

General Liability coverage does not provide any first-party coverage for your owned business property (building or contents) or business interruption. Liability coverage is the same for both the Business Office and General Liability.

Back to top

For more detailed answers, or if your question was not answered here, please call us at 1-877-637-9700.